Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Think I'm Having Visions

Okay, there's this...I don't know...virus or something that has been working its way through my house. My wife and my son had it first, followed by my middle daughter and me, with my little granddaughter getting it next.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, other than nasty, but you get a fever of about 101 degrees, headache, sore throat, eyes hurt, all your bones hurt. Everything hurts. You know that old joke, "It only hurts when I breathe?" Plug it in here. I guess it's the flu, although most of the time when I get the flu it's the 24 hour variety, and this thing seems to last closer to two weeks.

Why do I mention this, you ask? Well, aside from my natural concern for my fellow man and the hope that you can avoid getting sick - think of it as a thank-you for reading my blog - I wanted to tell you about the strangest thing that happened to me as I was sleeping last night.

I got the idea for my next book, all gift-wrapped and tied up with a nice bow.

I, uh, got it in a dream. A feverish dream. Oh my God, I'm having visions.

I know how that sounds, and if you know me, you know that the last thing I am is some starry-eyed dreamer with my head in the clouds. I NEVER remember my dreams. They say people have like seven dreams a night, but I never wake up remembering any of them. Ever.

Except this morning, when I woke up with this cool idea for a book that as far as I know has not been done before. Now I know what you're thinking - Everything's been done before, dozens of times if not hundreds, and by writers so much better than me I'm not fit to wash their . . . um . . . keyboards. Or whatever.

I don't care!

This idea seems so awesome and, well, novel, that I can't wait to get started. It's like when you first start dating someone and all you see are their great traits and none of their bad ones. You're captivated by their perfect white teeth and overlook the fact that their breath would knock a buzzard off a shit-wagon, to quote the late, great George Carlin, may he rest in peace.

The timing was just about perfect, too. I'm almost ready to start querying agents regarding my ATC thriller, which means I'm almost ready to start something new. I had planned to take a couple of months off and just write some short stories, but it looks like it's going to be back to another novel.

What's it about, you ask?

Sorry, I can't let you in on that. But, trust me, it's going to be fun.

I hope. If I can pull it off.

No comments: